Allow altruistic topup without having to have an active giffgaff SIM
By: endorphin | 01-04-2019 16:03
Currently you can topup someone else's giffgaff account from your own account (aka "altruistic topup") but only if you have an active giffgaff SIM too.
This means that a non giffgaff user who just wants to do an ad hoc topup of someone's account will need to activate a giffgaff SIM solely for this purpose, costing them at least a £10 topup or a £5 goodybag. Obviously they would be very unlikely to do this and would probably need to resort to some other way of giving the money to the recipient so that they can topup themselves.
So I propose that giffgaff allow anyone to topup a giffgaff account. This could be done in one of two ways:
- The topup can be done from a giffgaff account which does not have an active SIM. This means the benefactor has to open a giffgaff account but once done they can store their payment details for multiple uses.
- Have an altruistic payment page which does not require a giffgaff account to access; Three have one here https://www.three.co.uk/web_top_up this allows even quicker topup without having to go through the account creation and/or logon process but the benefactor would have to enter their payment details every time.
I think of the two the second one is more attractive as I see that altruistic topups will usually be ad hoc, even one off, payments rather than a regular transaction for any particular benefactor.
Allowing anyone to topup a giffgaff account without having to have an active giffgaff SIM will:
- allow quick, convenient altruistic topups without having to resort to a third party
- improve the view of giffgaff's convenience to members and non members
- attract non members to use the giffgaff website